Thailand has said that a deadly bomb attack at a popular shrine in Bangkok was “unlikely” to be the work of international terrorists, but appealed for Interpol help in hunting a foreign man accused of being the prime suspect. The military government was initially reluctant in asking for outside help in the investigation of the blast at the Erawan shrine on Monday evening that killed 20 people and wounded scores. However, it has now sent the international police organisation a sketch of the suspected bomber. “We sent a request for assistance,” Kissana Phathancharoen, deputy national police spokesperson, told Reuters news agency.
There has been no claim of responsibility and police have not determined a motive for the worst ever bomb attack in the Thai capital. Thai police said that two men thought to have aided the prime suspect in the bombing were no longer under investigation. The two men were suspected of shielding the suspected bomber while he planted the device. But police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said one man who turned himself in was a tour guide, while the other man was a Chinese national who had already returned to China.